Tuesday, December 24, 2013

An Eccentric List Of Children’s Picture Books





... and one or two sentences on how they lay claim to my heart.

Dogzilla/Kat Kong by Dav Pilkey - (two books, actually) With great visuals and a playful irreverence, these books always make me laugh.

Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey - Although I’ve never met a bear in the woods while picking blueberries, I hope I would do what brave Sal did: keep eating.

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell - A gentle look at what makes a family: love.

The Black Book of Colors by Menena Cottin and Rosana Faria - A children’s book that can awaken in anyone a new way at “looking” at the world. Deep.

Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak - This is the classic children’s book on the adventures of someone I can relate to, a willfully disobedient child.

Some Dogs Do by Jez Alborough: Belief in yourself is the first step to your dreams coming true. And it rhymes!

Julius, Baby of the World by Kevin Henkes: I have an older sister and I’m sure she felt the same way about me, especially after I brought home my first all-A’s report card.

Eloise by Kay Thompson: Don’t we all sometimes wish we could live in the Plaza Hotel with our pug and spend our days ordering room service and playing on the elevators?

Pat The Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt: What’s not to like, it’s interactive!

The Lonely Doll by Dare Wright - Creepiest book ever. ‘Nuff said. How anyone could read this to a child is beyond me. I know this is more than two sentences but this book is truly the stuff of my nightmares. (see above photo)




3 comments:

  1. Bravo! Great list, wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED the Lonely Doll as a child - and I STILL love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some interesting background on Dare Wright's The Lonely Doll series, have a look at this:
    http://www.booktryst.com/2011/10/most-unsettling-series-of-childrens.html
    Thanks, Sheryl.

    ReplyDelete