Thursday, May 21, 2015

Royal Fan Fiction




Reading The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan felt very odd, not least because it takes place in the 21st century and I generally read books that are set before texting was ever a thing that real people did. In point of fact, the most disconcerting part of the experience was the sense that I was reading a HUGE People Magazine article. At 454 pages, this fictionalized account of Prince William and Kate Middleton's courtship is one seriously voyeuristic piece of business. But I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. 

There are some changes, of course, like making the novelized Kate an American named Bex Porter with a decidedly more expansive vocabulary than her real-life parallel, but for the most part it sticks pretty closely to the official version of events. I wouldn't have picked it up if I hadn't seen a five star review of it by one of my colleagues on GoodReads that simply said, "Just entertaining." Her word is good enough for me, so I gave it a shot and ended up gulping it down in an embarrassingly short period of time. 

So. Here we are. I'm recommending a book that has been placed under the wide-brimmed genre hat of "chick lit." (With which there is NOTHING wrong. I just seem to have English major guilt about it, is all.) There's a first time for everything, and you know... sometimes you just want to be entertained.

1 comment:

  1. Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin would be a fun followup!

    ReplyDelete