Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Stacy's summer reading

Did you get a chance to read anything good over summer?  I ended up with a shorter list than I hoped, but here's the scoop on what I read in August--

MYSTERY/SUSPENSE:
Dexter is Dead (Dexter #8) by Jeff Lindsay: This was the series closer for the books--it seems pretty definitive! I used to like Dexter before the advent of his TV show, and I was curious about the ending even though I'd skipped a couple along the way. I don’t know if he changed or I changed, but I found it immensely boring. His grandiose self-narration used to amuse me, but it got old really quickly. Sorry, Dex, I’m afraid you won’t be missed, at least by me.

The Killing (The Killing #1) by David Hewson: A political race in Denmark becomes tangled in a murder inquiry when one of the mayoral candidates seems to be a suspect. The characters seemed wooden to me, and the endless round of red herrings got old quickly.

Dead to Me (Scott &Bailey #1) by Cath Staincliffe: Scott and Bailey are female DC’s in the Manchester police who develop an unlikely mentoring relationship while on the case of a murdered teenage girl. The ending was a little predictable, but observing the almost unwilling friendship growing between the two women as they pursued very different investigative styles was fun.

Fool Me Once (A Tarot Mystery #2) by Steve Hockensmith and Lisa Falco: Hockensmith is an old favorite of mine from his Holmes on the Range series which were light, funny mysteries set in the Old West. Fool Me Once is the second book in a new series of which the library missed the first book—we’ll have to remedy that. It’s a tarot-card based series about a woman trying to make up for all the damage her late mother did as a con-artist/psychic. Her method? Working out of her mother’s shop as a tarot-card reader. This was a solid, amusing mystery.


FANTASY:
Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson #7) by Patricia Briggs: A guilty pleasure. Mercy Thompson is a were-coyote deeply involved in werewolf, vampire, and fey politics. She’s one of the pack of strong paranormal female protagonists so popular these days (Charlaine Harris’s Sookie Stackhouse, Ilona Andrews’ Kate Daniels, Seanan MacGuire’s October Daye, et cetera) I listen to these on audio via Library2Go whenever I can get them.

Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive #2) by Brandon Sanderson: I’d forgotten a good deal of the plot from the first book, The Way of Kings, which was released in 2010. Nevertheless, I was quickly sucked into the audiobook, to the point of making excuses to spend extra time driving and doing housework so I could listen. Epic fantasy in a deeply developed world with a history of genocide, slavery, and massive social inequalities, narrated through the eyes of fascinating three-dimensional characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment