Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Ex Machina



Caleb, a naive young programmer who works for the world’s most advanced search engine, is invited by Nathan, the company’s enigmatic and reclusive founder, to assist him on a top secret new project. The programmer’s job: to interview a robot named Ava and find the flaws in her programming. How human is she? Does she pass the Turing test? As Caleb spends ever more time with Ava, he develops feelings for the AI that lead him to ask uncomfortable questions about the research work and his involvement in it.

Thus begins Ex Machina, one of the most thought-provoking, and frankly, terrifying, films I’ve seen this year. Just like the characters in the film, I felt as if the rug had been pulled out from under me. Just like Caleb, Nathan and Ava, I was never sure who was really in charge. Like Caleb, I feared that all was not as it appeared. I wondered along with Ava what would happen if she failed the test. What happened to the earlier versions of Ava? Is Nathan a prophetic genius or a dangerous psychopath?

And what does it mean to be human anyway?

I pondered questions like these for weeks after seeing Ex Machina. You might too.

You can reserve Ex Machina here.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent film. Beautiful to watch and extremely thought-provoking. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete