Monday, June 2, 2014

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger




I love to cook but sometimes there just isn’t enough time to stand in the kitchen and stir. And it’s probably because I’m a busy guy that I use my crock-pot more often than most people do. Chop up a few things in the morning, throw it into the slow cooker, and by dinner time, it’s done, with no extra work on my part.

My favorite crock pot cook book is Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufman. Although it’s not the prettiest cook-book out there, no pictures of the Tuscan countryside for example, the one thing this book does have is recipes. And lots of them. 350 to be precise. And though I haven’t tried all 350, the ones I have tried are all super easy and super delicious. The Vegetarian Chili Sin Carne (pg. 226) is one of the best chilis I’ve ever tasted, richly spiced and hearty. And Mom’s Beef Stew (pg. 327) is the one I wished my mother used to make.

In addition to a large and diverse collection of main dishes that crockpots have been slow cooking for decades, Hensperger and Kaufman also include recipes for desserts, breads, sauces and jams. I’ve yet to explore the back end of this great book, but based on the front end, I have no doubt the recipes are just as good.

Check out Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook, take down that dusty, disused crock pot from the shelf in your garage and whip up something delicious....Why am I so hungry? I probably shouldn’t write cookbook reviews right before lunch. I gotta’ go.

You can reserve Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook here.

No comments:

Post a Comment