Friday, July 11, 2014

From Aardvarks to Zygotes

When I was a 5th grader living in Seattle, I took part in the local library’s summer reading program. One of their requirements was that we read books on different topics, so among my choices were books about ants and atoms. (I’m not sure if I started at the A’s in the subject card catalog, but those are the two I remember.) I loved learning about new subjects, and loved knowing that libraries could satisfy my curiosity on almost any topic.

Libraries continue to support both young readers and life-long learners, and we’ve recently added an amazing collection of titles to our Gale Virtual Reference Library (GVRL). The following are possible topics to research with a sample of the results from the GVRL for each.

My son wants to learn about robots.
- “How Robots Move,” Robots
- “Robot Toys,” Encyclopedia of Science, Technology, and Ethics
- “Robotics,” The Gale Encyclopedia of Science 


Last month was the 100th anniversary of the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, which is considered the spark that ignited World War I. I’d like to know more about him.
- “Archduke Franz Ferdinand, assassination of,” The Greenhaven Encyclopedia of Terrorism
- “Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria,” Encyclopedia of World Biography
- “Franz Ferdinand,” World War I Reference Library


I’ve been hearing about the decline in coral reefs, and want to learn more.
- “Coral and Coral Reef,” The Gale Encyclopedia of Science
- “Coral Reef Ecosystems,” Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia : Extinction
- “Coral Reefs and Corals,” Climate Change : In Context

Over 3,000 reference titles are now in the GVRL, on topics including Art, Biography, Business, Education, Environment, History, Law, Medicine, Nation and World, Religion, Science, and Social Sciences.  You can access all of them from home; just go to our database page and log in with your Newport library card and PIN. Maybe you’ll learn something new this summer about ants or atoms ..... or even Aztecs!

No comments:

Post a Comment